John Lewis Partnership has reported gross sales of GBP 5.01 billion, up 6%, for the first half (H1) of 2014 ended on 26th July 2014.
- Operating profit increased 53.3% to GBP 176.1 million. Excluding exceptional items, operating profit increased by 8.6%.
- The group invested GBP 332.1 million in capital expenditure, an increase of 100.5% compared to the prior year.
- Investment in John Lewis was GBP 91.3 million, an increase of 68.5% compared to the prior period.
- Investment in Waitrose was GBP 220.2 million, an increase of 120.6% compared to the prior year.
- GBP 90.5 million was invested in free hold properties.
- The investment was majorly on new stores or refurbishment of existing stores and in distribution and IT.
- Gross sales increased 9.4% to GBP 1.87 billion. The retailer witnessed sales growth segments mainly in Electrical and Home Technology (EHT) with 11.7% and Fashion up 9.1%.
- Like-for-like (LFL) sales increased 8.2%.
- Sales from the online business (johnlewis.com) grew 25.6% to GBP 552 million.
- Operating profit increased 62.2% to GBP 56.3 million.
- During H1 2014, the retailer opened new full line flexible format store in York and first airport store in Heathrow Terminal 2.
- Plans to open new Click & Commute store to open at St Pancras station and one full line department store in Birmingham in FY 2015, along with stores in Basingstoke and Horsham.
- First phase of second National Distribution Centre in Milton Keynes was completed.
- Gross sales increased 4.1% to GBP 3.15 billion.
- LFL sales, excluding petrol increased 1.3%.
- Operating profit decreased 9.4% to GBP 145.2 million.
- According to Waitrose, its market share increased to 5%.
- Sales from the online gross sales reached GBP 161 million with online grocery sales increased by 54%.
- During H1 2014, Waitrose opened 15 stores.
- It launched new Alan Titchmarsh and Waitrose gardening range, Asian Fusion and pure beauty range.
- Developed own content for Waitrose TV and launched Weekend Kitchen with Waitrose on channel 4.
As of 26th July 2014, John Lewis operated 31 John Lewis department stores, 10 John Lewis "at home" stores, and 326 Waitrose stores.